Early Childhood Professional Development Systems
The Early Childhood Utah Professional Development Committee supports a comprehensive coordinated cross-sector system of professional development
serving anyone working in the field of early childhood, regardless of their role or level of experience. This includes any entity working to support
early learning and development for children pre-natal to age eight, such as: Child Care, Head Start/Early Head Start, Home Visiting, Early Intervention,
Preschool Special Education, Public Preschool, Afterschool, Higher Education, State/Local government, and partner agencies. We believe that the children,
families, and communities in Utah benefit when public and private early childhood partners collaborate to develop cross-sector service systems, using collective resources,
in order to ensure that all children enter school healthy and ready to learn.
The ECU PD Committee meets annually to identify areas of need and commit to working on strengthening the early childhood workforce.
Current projects include:
- A website where Early Childhood Professional Development opportunities can be displayed and shared by professionals from all Early Childhood sectors.
- T.E.A.C.H. scholarships for those seeking degrees in early childhood.
- Professional Development Recognition of Excellence for Support Professionals i.e., EC Coaches, Leaders, Trainers, and Parent Educators.
- Early Childhood Leadership CEU-45 hours of training on becoming an leader and advocate in the EC field.
- Reaching Potential Through Recommended Practices - helping children of all abilities be successful learners through engagement.
- Coaching Consortium - building EC coaching capacity for all EC programs.
- National Governor's Grant for Early Childhood Workforce Development - development of EC Workforce Registry & development of policies around EC workforce.
- Infant Toddler Development - building capacity for EC workforce to work effectively, using best practices, with infants and toddlers.
- Public Awareness Campaign - work with the Governor's Office to design a campaign around the importance of early childhood - "one message".
- Partnership with Utah State Board of Education to support high school students coming into the field of Early Childhood.